Friday, October 15

Happy Thanksgiving!

Monday Jack celebrated his first Thanksgiving with us. Daniel thought he should have an active part in the dinner...
It was my first attempt to make a turkey, and if thinking about something can make it taste good, the turkey should have been the yummiest turkey ever in existence! I "thought-cooked" that bird thoroughly. In the end it was a pretty tasty turkey! I was relieved. We had the Davenports, Kim and Daniel, and Mr V. and Peter join us. Jack was so thrilled about his first big food holiday that he went to sleep at 5:50 and slept until the next day. He wasn't exactly the life of the party :) 

 Cooking it was a big enough adventure to last me a year, so I bequeathed the job of carving to Papa V.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to the rest of the world!

6 comments:

  1. Let me relate our "turkey" Grand Adventure for our Canadian Thanksgiving. I was sent out to purchase the Turkey Saturday afternoon. (that was the first major error in judgment by Linda) There was a great sale of 99 cents a pound. By this time all the smaller ones had gone so I picked out "Victor" - who was some 14 kg. Not being great at conversion to pounds, I did figure his $31.00 cost must be "close" to 30 pounds. I did have some fear as I was checking him out....Did I mention that he was frozen - and 33 pounds? All the books say to defrost for 4-5 days in the fridge. We would have just been now eating Victor! Did I mention that most stores don't sell pans for 33 pound turkeys? I "thought cooked" and read on-line everything I could on cooking such things. I considered a barbeque pit in the back yard. Linda and reason prevailed (yes, the smoke alarms went off several times, and yes I am seeing a chiropractor after taking him in and out to baste) and Victor was "done" at 6 pm and was delicious - and we have left overs until Christmas.....Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. our little 12 pounder turkey wants to see a picture of Victor :) I am not sure whether I am glad or sad that I missed this adventure! You make me laugh, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving, Amy! I think it's kind of fun to have so many holidays! You make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katrina will have to send the pictures - I know she was taking pictures of one of the "basting sessions" with grandma. You would have loved to have been here. I was vowing that I would never buy a turkey again (especially a 33 pounder!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how Jack was the only one who didn't get turkey and yet he was the only one to go into a "turkey comma" =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are starting to do what we always did for our thanksgivings:)....

    ReplyDelete