Thursday, September 16

My Blog turns into a Cooking Magazine

Today I conquered the kitchen. For over a month I have been chasing this recipe in and out of the missing papers file. I found it Tuesday, attached it to the fridge for safe keeping, and plotted its execution the next day. Please forgive me as I complete the joy of a yummy dish by sharing it with anyone that reads my blog :) At the least, let the pictures make you hungry.
 
Dinner starts out with the incomparable pizza crust recipe from Lindsay Vanderhorst
(this recipe will also make enough crust for two pans in case you'd like it for pizza...)
Pizza Dough
4 1/2 c. flour (2 c. white, 2 1/2 c. whole wheat is a nice combo)
1 T. yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
1 1/3 c. hot water
4 T. olive oil
1 tsp salt

Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Pour in water and let stand for 2 minutes. Mix, then add oil, remaining flour, and salt. Knead or use dough hook on mixer til soft and pliable - dough should not feel dry to touch, add a bit of water if it seems so. (for pizza crust, roll out and let it rise for 30 minutes and then bake @ 450 for 20 minutes) BUT, for soup bread bowls, divide into 4-5 equal chunks and knead gently, shaping into a ball. Place all balls on a baking stone without waiting for them to rise (or cookie sheet) and brush with olive oil, then sprinkle with fresh grated mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for about 23 minutes or until the lovely bread lumps are golden brown and smell really good.

beautiful colors!

Meanwhile, as the bowls are baking chop up the vegetables for the soup
Chicken Alfredo Soup (compliments of Pampered Chef)
1 c. chopped broccoli
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. diced red and or yellow pepper
2 cloves pressed garlic cloves
2 c. diced cooked chicken
2 c. chicken broth
1 T. basil
2 c. alfredo sauce
Put all chopped vegetables and chicken broth into a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat until vegetables are crisp-tender - about 5 minutes. Add diced chicken, basil, and alfredo sauce to the pot. Simmer until all is heated throughout.
ta-da!

Remove bread bowls from the oven, carve it like a pumpkin and fill with soup. Enjoy. Don't burn your mouth, the bread is really hot!


Ok, thanks for humoring me. I'll try not to succumb to a desire to work for a cooking show very frequently. :)

3 comments:

  1. I thought Jack would have his fingers in it somewhere too....must be his day off! You are making us hungry here and I was asked to print off your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy! I love this post! Guess what I'm making tomorrow night for dinner??!? I wasn't sure what to make...but this is it--perfect for a rainy day. All the others of Jack are really cute too--I echo JoJo's comment on FB.

    ReplyDelete