Saturday, April 17

When things go bump in the night...

Babies don't know which end is up on night and day. It seems like their avid disregard for night and day keeps them at a rather happy functioning level - they are pretty much the same at any hour they are awake. I wish I could say the same for their happy parents. But, alas, we are not so coherent, cheerful, or coordinated during what I have always fondly called "night".
Below are some examples.
Jon:
While still in the hospital, a nurse brought Jack in during the night to eat, and he was in the bassinet while I was getting ready for him. He started crying and something like this happened -

Amy to a sleeping Jon - "Jon, somebody needs you."
Jon in a mumble - "mm k"

......long pause......

Jon in a high sing song voice - "Hey Jason, hey there little Jason, how are you? Hey Jason!"
Amy worriedly - "Jon?"

...another long pause...

Jon - "uh, Jack. Hey Jack!"
Amy - "Please don't hold the baby Jon. At least not while you don't know his name."
Jon - "Too late."

Amy:
The first night Jack slept 7 hours, I dreamed that he was crying at his normal 3 hour interval, and thought that Jon had gone and gotten him from his room and brought him to me. However, when I half awoke and asked Jon where Jack was, he said that he was asleep, so I thought that Jack was sleeping in our room and would wake again in a few minutes. I promptly fell asleep again. About a half hour later I awoke in a panic thinking that Jon had fallen asleep and accidentally let Jack slip out of his arms to under the pillow or something and I was afraid he couldn't breath. So I quickly sat up and felt to see where Jack was, but after a moment of looking I couldn't find him and in my half awake delirium I shook Jon awake and asked him where Jack's head was.
His answer?
"In his crib. With the rest of him."

3 comments:

  1. HA! this is hilarious! Brian and I are sitting here laughing! I can't wait to meet this little guy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Jon had outgrown that - yes he would awake wildly and talk about something crazy and go bakc to sleep - sorry I guess I forgot to warn you about that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. jon and ahis wakey wakey moments.. i remember them.. usually takes from 1 hour to 2 plus a good cup of coffee to get him thinking straight in the morning... how ever will you survive!!!

    ReplyDelete