Tuesday, April 26

How the garden grew...

They look like pros, cutting sod and reformatting the front yard...
 This is the glory-point of Stephen's ability to multitask - he "babysat" Jack while building a wall. Conveniently, Jack wasn't sure he liked the feeling of grass and didn't go far. :) Note the silver car at the end of the drive way that no one really could figure out how to drive. That was my Aunt's. We tried to keep it clean...
 Periodically we tested the strength of the wall by all standing on it at once. It still hasn't budged!
 It's level! Can I eat it now?

 Jack wanted to help, so he started stacking the largest dirt clods he could find on the top of the wall. I truly think he might have thought he was building too.
 "Can you just stop taking pictures now? Maybe you could do something useful?"

Stephen, I am sorry I threw the monster-claw-bulbs at you. They are really pretty hastas now. If only I'd known, I would have treated them with some dignity.
 Vinca! "It sounds like Inca with a 'v'!"
 The day they got uniforms.
 Stephen prefers to work solo.
 I considered changing my mind about how big the lower level was...after they cleared the area. I almost cried when I thought about having to fill it with plants. So, Stephen proposed a path down the middle to "shrink" it. We just bought the stones to lay the path on our way home today! It will look great. Notice Jack is still moving large dirt clods around industriously.
 Trying to ring for tea
 "Oh there you are, Mom! Can I have some milk please?"
The garden really was a group effort. Somehow I stayed out of every picture, but I was not left out of the work. My mom says that is life I should get used to it. :) Thanks Stephen for days of working in heat and cold and rain. Thanks Jon for skipping men's meeting to move sod for the last level, and for carrying my plants around city market while I clucked over them. Thanks Jack for not eating all the dirt. Thanks to my neighbor girls for picking the most beautiful dandelions to brighten up my non-flowering-at-this-time mums. Thanks mom and dad for just shrugging and smiling when I asked if I could tear up your front yard and for buying even more pretty flowers to help fill it in!

No comments:

Post a Comment