Thursday, July 28

Not American

So...we lost London's social security card. We got it in the mail in record time, and Jon faithfully files all papers in the filing cabinet or in this case puts important ones in the fire proof strong box. However, I needed London's SS# just days after we received the card and we couldn't find it anywhere. It wasn't in London's file, the medical file, the strong box, the hospital file, the children file, the coupons file, the kitchen trash (but the envelope for it and lots of other gross stuff was!), between the couch cushions, or in the stack of mail on the counter. We turned the house, car, diaper bag, wallets, and purse upside down and inside out trying to find it. Then we gave up. We didn't have time to look anymore. I went into the nursery to change London's diaper, praying as I resnapped his onesie that God would help us find the card, and decided to empty the trashcan because it was starting to smell funny...I never empty the nursery trash, Jon does. But, this time there was a particularly bad diaper in it and I decided to just get it over with. But, instead of pulling the bag out I opted to carry the whole can to the garage and dump it in the trash barrel. Neither of us ever does that either. When I inverted the can, the bottom of the bag was visible in the barrel and I saw a magazine renewal paper through the plastic lining. We never throw anything but diapers and wipes into this can...maybe the odd price tag off of a new outfit, but not mail. So, I stuck my hand in through the bag and out came London's social security card. Wow. For a few hours there, I was afraid that London might not be legally American anymore. Disaster averted for the day, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment